Saturday, June 19, 2010

Zatanna Gallery by Mitchell Breitweiser

Click To Enlarge


It isn't easy finding art for Detroit Leaguers who lack the word "man" in their names, and even the A-listers usually only have a piece or two per artist. Alternately, it's rapidly becoming de rigueur to throw my hands up and do whole Zatanna galleries every few Saturdays, because a lot of artists are fixated on her, and they then proceed to draw her a lot. Now, I like Zee, but she's only about my fifth favorite of the Detroit bunch, so I wonder how much creepy fetishism comes into play here. I personally am fondest of her Scarlet Witch riffing blue & white costume, and she's had a few others besides, but 9.825 out of 10 sketches will involve the fishnet stockings. I can appreciate a bit of cheesecake, but I bypass about a fifth of those due to nudity/poor taste, so it's a relief to find a respectable artist like Mitchell "Mitch" Breitweiser. He's typically a Marvel guy, but he brings an old school '40s mood that recalls greats like Al Williamson and Reed Crandall. So basically, he's the antithesis of every other artist to work a Zatannaday so far, even if he also hews to the leggy top hat & tails look. I'm just happy her bum's covered...


Zatanna comission-Mitchell Breitweiser
Click To Enlarge


Zatanna by Mitchell Breitweiser
Click To Enlarge


Zatanna by Mitchell Breitweiser WW Chicago 07
Click To Enlarge

No comments: